Newborn Twin Tips: Bringing Newborn Twins Home from the Hospital
The best newborn twin tips start with tips for bringing newborn twins home from the hospital.
What it's like bringing twins home from the hospital
The day has finally arrived. You've been anxiously awaiting this moment and now it's here! Your twins are coming home from the hospital today. This is a big milestone for you and your family, so we thought we would share some tips to help make bringing those two babies home as easy as possible.
Bringing home your twins from the hospital will differ between whether you bring your twins home right away or bring them home from the nicu, but you'll still want the same things set up and ready to go.
What to do before bringing newborn twins home from the hospital:
If you're planning on bringing your newborn twins home from the hospital soon, make sure you...
- have plenty of diapers and wipes on hand
- have enough formula (if going that route)
- have bottles (if going that route)
- understand the newborn sleep cycle
- have a safe sleep area set up for the babies
- have a safe tummy time area set up for the babies
- have a plan for any animals you might have (including how you plan to safely introduce them to your newborn twins
- have two safe infant rated car seats and know how to install them into the car
- have cute going home outfits
- are stocked on zippered sleepers
& another important thing: a plan for your own self care. Postpartum depression is very common amongst twin moms, and even more common for those twin moms who had their babies in the nicu, so make sure you have a plan ready.
Let's dive a bit deeper into each of those suggestions for bringing newborn twins home from the hospital!
Tips for bringing home newborn twins from the hospital
1. Have enough diapers and wipes on hand
Your twins are likely to go through 8-12 diapers a day EACH! Make sure you have enough stocked so that you won't find yourself running out in the middle of the night! I liked to have a months worth at a time.
2. Have enough formula (if going that route)
Do the math early on to figure out how many bottles you're going to get out of your containers of formula if you are deciding to go that route. It might also be a great idea to keep some on hand just in case nursing doesn't work out so that you don't have to run to the store!
3. Have bottles (if going that route)
Again, if you're choosing to bottle feed, make sure you have some good bottles. You can read more about the top rated bottles on the market here.
4. Understand the newborn sleep cycle
Newborn twins will likely sleep more than singletons since they are typically born a lot earlier than singletons, but it's still important to learn about the newborn sleep cycle so that you can do your best to set yourself (and them) up for success. Click here to read more about setting a sleep schedule for your twins.
5. Have a safe sleep area set up for the babies
This is a very important thing to do before bringing newborn twins home from the hospital! Make sure you have a safe sleeping area on each floor of your home.
Swaddles are a great idea to have also! Click here to shop our collection of swaddles.
6. Have a safe tummy time area set up for the babies
Just like a safe sleep place, your newborn twins will need a safe place to hang out during wake time. Set up a fun and safe tummy time place for your babies!
7. Have a plan for any animals you might have (including how you plan to safely introduce them to your newborn twins
Introducing your newborns to your animals can be tricky. I advise learning all you can about how to do it long before giving birth to your twins!
8. Have two safe infant rated car seats and know how to install them into the car
You will thank me later for suggesting infant car seats for your newborn twins. It makes carrying them in and out of the house, store, and more SO much easier!
9. Have cute going home outfits
Going home outfits are a MUST! Check out our shop here to shop some of our custom newborn twin going home outfits.
10. Get stocked on zippered sleepers
These are going to be life savors for you! Having a ton of zippered sleepers for your newborn twins will be helpful because it makes changing them so easy and odds are, you are going to have a lot of messes with newborn twins! You don't have to worry about snaps or buttons. Simply zip them up! Click here to shop our collection of zippered sleepers.
I hope these tips for bringing newborn twins home from the hospital set you up well!